I had dinner last week with mama Jan and sister E and this appeared on the menu. Didn’t know what to make for dessert at first but as I was walking down the fruit aisle in the supermarché, I saw these curvy chics, one thing led to another and we were all covered in chocolate . Pear and chocolate is a match made in heaven and sprinkling some caramelised nuts into the mix just makes for an awesome trio. It’s vegan, it’s healthy (welllllllll yeah because chocolate is totally good for you in all sorts of ways ), it’s indulgent and it’s delish! Give it a go….
For 3 people, you’ll need:
For poaching the pears:
- 3 firm pears (conference type, washed and peeled…keep the skin!)
- 100 g sugar
- 1/2 a lemon juice (plus skin)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla or 1 vanilla pod
- I stick of cinnamon
- 1/2 orange (plus skin)
- 850 ml of water
For the nuts:
- 100 g mixture of nuts and seeds
- 2 tsp honey, agave or maple syrup
200 g dark chocolate
- Put water in a deep saucepan, add the skin of the pears, sugar, lemon, and vanilla, cinnamon, orange and bring to the boil.
- Gently place these curvy lovelies into the water and cook for 15 mins or until tender. Fish them out and set aside to cool.
- As the pear is cooling, add the nuts and sees to a frying pan and let them roast and brown a little. Now add the honey, stirring to melt the honey and turn off the heat. Watch as it gets crunchy when cool.
- Melt your chocolate in a bran marie. Meaning, break up the chocolate into chunks and put in a clean bowl. Place this over a saucepan of boiling water making sure that the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
- When this is done, begin to assemble this gorgeous beauty on your plate, using the pictures as a guide…Enjoy!