This one was another hit at the get-together last weekend. A little hint of mustard and thyme on the finish married with the classic cheese and onion flavour means there isn’t a lot that can go wrong with this one. Except that you might end up eating one, two, three of them in a row! 😛
You’ll need the following to make 24 mini muffins or 12 large ones:
- 3 large red onions (sliced) / Oignon rouge
- 5 Tbsp olive oil / huile d’olive
- 300 g self-raising flour / farine gâteaux
- 120 g medium chedder (grated) / fromage râpé
- ¼ tsp salt / sel
- 1 tsp thyme / thym
- 1 heaped tsp mustard / moutarde
- 2 eggs /oeufs
- 225 ml milk / lait
- Start by caramelizing your onions in 2 Tbsp of oil until nice and golden. Then set aside,
- In big bowl, mix the flour thoroughly with salt, cheese and thyme,
- Add the caramelized onions to the flour mixture and mix evenly,
- In a smaller bow, whisk together the remainder of the oil with mustard, eggs and milk,
- Now pour all of the liquid mixture into the caramelized onion and flour mixture, stirring until barely combined. Don’t overwork the batter as this will make your muffins chew-y and gum-y instead of melt in the mouth-y ;-). Ps- Lumps are good here.
- Scoop into the muffin cases and bake in 200 degrees oven for 20 mins or until browned and golden.
- Serve and enjoy the yumminess that is caramelized red onions and cheese muffins with a hint of mustard and thyme!