Got the idea for these yummy lentils from a sister of mine from Sri Lanka. I remember when I stayed at her flat in London once and she made this for me. First of all, it was DELISH!! and secondly, I couldn’t stop eating it. I just couldn’t believe how simple it was when she told me about the recipe. This was from her mom to her and luckily down to me.
Wanna try at least one simple lentil recipe? Make it this one and you won’t regret it. Trust me.
Thank you Madusha 😉
Alors, let’s get to it.
For this bébé, you’ll need:
- 2 cups of red split Lentils (parboil with 1 litre of water and set aside)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- I medium onion (very thinly sliced)
- 2 or 3 dried long chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 350 ml water
- Fresh curry leaves (this finishes off the dish and gives it a lovely aroma but I didn’t have this at hand at the time so don’t worry if you don’t either. Madusha might kill me for this :-))
- Salt to your liking
- To your hot pan, add the oil, onions, mustard seeds, garlic, chillies, curry leaves (if using) and fry off until the onions become translucent,
- Now add the parboiled lentils and mix thoroughly,
- Pour in your coconut milk into the spicy mixtures at the same time, stirring vigorously,
- Add the turmeric, salt to taste and cook through until you the lentils are done and the mixture is nice and thick and smells like heaven. Told ya ’twas easy :-).
Ps- Now 39 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Someone tell me when this baby is coming outta me. In the meantime, let me introduce you to bump, baby pictures to follow soon…I hope 🙂