A few days ago I had another call from sister E, saying I have “some” apples in my kitchen, freshly picked from grandma’s garden if you’ld like to have some. And I said “yes yes yes please!. So she delivered them to the flat and I was amazed. It wasn’t just some apples, no, it was a full bag of delicious and differently shaped beautiful lady apples that filled one corner of our kitchen..look!
I was over the moon of course, and soo sooo grateful. And first thing that popped into my head was, Apple cake and since I had lots of apples, this one was an Apple packed apple cake 🙂 which turned out so moist and crumbly on the cut that a friend said to me, “I’m going to take that home and have it with custard”. Just have a taste and you’ll feel what I mean.
So the recipe I always use for my apple cake is from the fantastic lady at Smitten Kitchen, that she calls Mom’s Apple cake. It’s such a simple recipe that you can modify or tweak it in any way you like and I have done just that many a time. So here is the version of this beauty that I used this time round.
- 6 bramley apples
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2cups self- raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup clementine juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Feel free to use any other type of apple you have at home. I used these because an angel delivered them to my front door 🙂. But in the past, I have used barebun, cox, gala and granny smith. Sometimes, I have even done a mix depending on what I have so feel free to free flow ok.
- I have used less sugar here because I was going to add the lemon drizzle on top. Having said that, I initially served it straight out of the oven without having added the drizzle and it tasted fab too so the choice is yours.
- I have used clementine juice here because that’s what I had in my fruit bowl but feel free to use, orange or apple juice. I have done it before and it still comes out great.
- Lastly, as an alternative to having to chop all the apples, you can grate them as you would carrot. And believe me, it works like magic 🙂.
Alors, onto how to do it:
- In medium sized bowl, mix the first 3 ingredients and set aside;
- Combine salt with the flour in a big bowl and set aside.
- Now mix all the remaining liquid ingredients together.
- Add the liquid mixture into the salted flour and mix evenly
- Finally pour the spiced sugar apples into the cake batter and mix until barely combined. Pour into your cake tin.
- Bake in a 180 degrees oven for 1hr or until your tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before turning out and enjoy my friends.
- Orrrrr…make lemon drizzle by combining the ingredients and pour over cake slices before serving….Heaven 😉