I am going away to England to stay with my sister who is pregnant and has a ten month old lovely boy at home. I will be helping her so she can have some chill time-out while I spend time with Gigi, my nephew.
So I wanted to make something for the man to have at home as a quick snack and eat whenever he wanted. There is still loads of the Studded banana cake left in the house but I wanted to make something else. And I thought, caramelised onions? chickpeas? Almonds? Yes please!!! I love love loved this one. The first time I made it, I used white onions but it didn’t have that strong onion flavour that I liked. So I substituted it with the stronger flavoured sister, red onions and used 2 instead of one. It came out really nice and nutty because of the roasted nuts. Go ahead, give it a go and you’ll see. You’ll need:
- 200g cooked chickpeas / pois chiches
- 60 g ground almonds / poudre d’amandes (roasted till light brown)
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain Tahini / Tahin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil / huile d’olive
- 1 lemon / citron (juiced)
- 1 roasted garlic clove (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp ground chilli /piment
- 120 ml water / d’eau
- 2 medium red onions / oignons rouges (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil / huile d’olive
- 1 tsp Agave syrup / sirop d’agave
- To caramelise your onions, place the first two ingredients in a pan and heat for about 5 mins until the onions are soft
- Add the agave and keep stirring on medium-high heat for about 30 mins or until the onions are browned, soft and have that caramel colour to them.
- Mix all the ingredients for the humus including 3/4 of the caramelised onions in a bowl with a spatula. This just makes it easier for my blender.
- Save the rest of the onions for garnish.
- Pour the mixture into your food processor, or blender or insert your hand blender into the mix if you’re like me and whizz away,
- If too thick for your liking, just add more water or oil to get a nice smooth consistency,
- Serve in a plate or bowl, drizzled with olive oil and garnished with the caramelised onions.
- Dip whatever you have at hand in it and munch away