A very light, melt in the mouth fluffy number inspired by goddess Nigella
Yummy yummy in my tummy 😉 so let’s get to it.
For this you’ll need:
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed ground spice
- pinch of salt
- 100g Sunflower spread (dairy-free)
- 120g dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 TBsp alpro soya single cream plus 1tbsp lemon juice (left to rest for 5 mins)
- 125 ml boiling water
- 75g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp espresso coffee
- 250g instant royal icing
- 100 g green ready-to-roll icing
- 100g of red ready-to-roll icing
- A small leaf cutter
- 12-bun muffin tin and cupcake papers
- Put the boiling water, chocolate and instant coffee in a pan and heat gently, just until all the chocolate has melted.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, bicarb, mixed spice and salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Beat in a third of the flour mixture followed by a tablespoon of the lemon and cream mixture, repeating till all used up.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the cake batter, but don’t overbeat. The mixture will be very thin.
- Bake in a 180 degree preheated fan oven.
- Pour carefully into the cupcake papers and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until cakes are cooked through but still dense and damp. Let cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then slip out the cakes onto wire rack until completely cold.
- To ice them, make up the royal icing according to the packet instructions and cover the tops of the cupcakes thickly.
- Cut out leaves and place two on each cake, and then press on your berry shaped red icing as shown in the pic, mixing it up by putting two on some, three on others.
- And enjoy!