In the spirit of all things spicy fuelled from the fact that I still have apples in my kitchen, this crazy idea was inevitable when I had a friend over for dinner and found myself staring at these juicy ladies. It turned out to be a complete hit with my cheesecake lover friend and he even went as far as putting this one on the list of top 2 favourite cheesecake….still couldn’t make up his mind which was number one but first two in his whole 39 yrs is FAB enough for me :-).
For this lovely beauty, you’ll need to use my basic cheesecake recipe but adding these extras:
- 1/2 tsp of ginger with the biscuits before setting,
- 1 tsp of cinnamon to the cheesecake batter before baking.
Now for the spicy topping:
- 3 bramley apples (thinly sliced)
- 30 g butter
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp dark Muscavado sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Notes: These bramley apples I used are very tart so they needed a big sugar punch but if using sweet apples, please feel free to reduce the amount of sugar or else it can be too sickly sweet, unless you like to roll like that
To make topping:
- Put all the ingredients into a sauce pan and cook on medium heat until the apple are soft (allowing the delicious aroma from the spices to fill your senses),
- One the apples are all soft, leave the sauce to reduce and thicken a little then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Then pour over cooled cheesecake and eat eat eat